Thursday, June 18, 2009

A little 'hello' in "British"

Word on the street has it that you’ve already forgotten how to speak American, so I though I would “have a go” at writing you a little ‘hello’ in British. ☺

Hiya,

It seems like yonks since you left, but it sounds like life in the ‘home was luvvly-jubbly and your recovery has gone more-or-less tickety boo so far. Have they added in scrummy treats like rarebit puree and mutton smoothies to your yogurt and tea diet yet? I hope that you’ve not been driven barmy by all of the time on your bum and aren’t feeling like you’re being held at Her Majesty’s pleasure, having to be grounded for so long!

Things here are as smashing as ever. Summer arrived yesterday and it’s not exactly the mutts with all of the heat and humidity, so you well best enjoy the atmosphere of The Empire before returning to the furnace! Anyway, don’t skive off the doctor’s well good advice, and have plenty of kips in front of the telly so that you are full of beans and feeling hunky-dory again soon.

Very well--enough of my waffling on. The best of British to you as you heal up, Captain Edwards!

Cheerio,
Ms. Vodehnal


In American, I think this roughly translates to:

Hey Burke,

It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you, but it sounds like things are going well enough in England. How’s the “food”? I hope you’re not going stir crazy there after so long without flying!

Not much is going on here. The weather is too hot already, so enjoy the pleasant weather there while you can. Be sure to rest up and listen to the doctors so that you’re back in action soon. OK--enough from me.

Good luck and best wishes,

CV

4 comments:

  1. Oop! I forgot to credit the "Best of British" site, where I found the British-American dictionary...it is here: http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gal you sointenly know to talk guuuuud. This is ace or i say BRILL! I am arse over tit!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. or as we say here in the midwest: "where are you at and how the hellyafeelin?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'ear, 'ear!!! Scrubs me a bit just like being down me mum's 'ouse, seven diahls way!

    I say you managed quite smartly to smarm in all the lingo, didn't you now! Lovely go at the speak, on the money and your post's just the cat's pajamas. Reeely though, hearing from you, particularly with vetting the opine with the help of the word wallah is quite cracking. Best chucka of the day.... ;)

    ReplyDelete